All colleges implement projects that require the use of mobile technology (laptop projects, tablets, etc.). This section proposes a set of resources to support IT REPs in the management of mobile technology, as well as the pedagogical uses it enables. (Click here to view articles from the ITREP Website, using the “Mobile Technology” keyword).
Mobile Technology : Let’s talk about pedagogical supportDescription and access
Slideshow used during the activity « Technologies mobiles : et si on parlait d’accompagnement pédagogique » that took place during the April 2016 REPTIC/IT REP meeting at Dawson College. The activity was animated by Huguette Dupont (Granby) and Jean-Luc Trussart (Lanaudière à L’Assomption). This slideshow gives access to the notes taken during the team work period.
In the exchange activities held this year on the implementation of mobile technology programs, a number of pedagogical issues were brought up. What about pedagogical support for teaching, evaluating and learning strategies, so that the integration of mobile technology is successful and goes beyond the functional operation of the tool? The topic of the workshop was support in the context of mobile technology, even though all themes brought up were relevant in other contexts that might be less structured but that involve using mobile technology in class: digital note taking, active learning strategies, collaborative activities, explicit teaching and learning assessment in the presence of technology.
This workshop’s aim was to highlight the issues, problems and needs for pedagogical development that were observed in our colleges, to pool knowledge, share real cases and resources, to exchange solutions, approaches and to discuss learning activities to better support teachers.
Mobile Technology : let’s talk about pedagogyDescription and access
Link to the recording of the activity « Technologies mobiles : et si on parlait pédagogie ? » that took place on March 14, 2016 by videoconference (in French). The activity was animated by Huguette Dupont (Granby).
- Over the course of the last few years, whenever the topic of mobile technology (laptop, tablets) was first approached, some organizational, logistical and technical questions came up: should students use their own laptop or the college’s? What about agreements with suppliers? Mulets (Multilanguage Encryption Technique)? Financing? Classroom reorganization? Electrical outlets? Technical Support? Wireless Networks?
Shouldn’t we talk about pedagogy? Teaching? Learning?
During this activity, which was presented by videoconference, REPTIC / ITREPS shared ideas on different topics, including strategies for learning, planning, evaluating, class management, development and support, all of these in a context of mobile technology.
- Link to the notes taken during the activity.
Projects making use of mobile technology: Past, Present and FutureDescription and access
Notes taken during the activity “Les programmes mobiles : le passé, le présent et l’avenir” that took place during the October 2015 REPTIC / IT REP Meeting. The activity was animated by Huguette Dupont (Granby).
- For many years now, mobile technology (laptops, tablets) has been implemented in our colleges. What is its status? Which programs of study are using it most? What formulas are working best? What are the logistical, financial and technical requirements? What are its impacts? What are its winning conditions? What are the main challenges and how have they been accomplished? Is it a past theme or is it still a current issue?
Projects using tablets in the college networkDescription and access
This document (in French) presents approximately 50 current projects using tablets in the college network. Each project has the following information:
- State of the situation: project is confirmed (but not done yet), in progress, completed
- Objective of the project: recruitment objective, learning objective, teaching, innovation, room set-up, mobility or productivity of the personnel, etc.
- Summary of the project, context, constraints and limits, material resources and management
- Ready for delivery, progress and results (if applicable)
Éducapplis: A directory of applications for tablets and their pedagogical useDescription and access
Arising from and bases on the experiences of practitioners, Éducapplis aims to document and identify the potential of applications available on the market, according to their use in a postsecondary pedagogical context. The interest in this resource, in a wiki format, is based on the assumption that intervenors in general rely on the expertise required to conciliate and share results of their research and experiences aimed at finding pedagogical and technological solutions adapted to higher education teaching. Éducapplis is a team project between APOP and Cégep de Rivière-du-Loup.
- Pedagogical uses of the tablet (in french only) : this document presents about thirty pedagogical activities using the tablet. For each of them, we find the following information:
- Activity type
- Pedagogical objects
- Main used application
- ICT Profile for Students skills concerned by the activity